Thursday, June 9, 2016

Mind Mapping Vocabulary


I could see myself using mind mapping in a variety of different ways, but I think one effective way to use this tool would be in terms of vocabulary. Teaching vocabulary, especially in the disciplines, in context is incredibly important. Students need to understand the vocabulary in order to truly understand the material. If I were to use this for a science unit, I would give students a list of words at the beginning of the unit and ask students to circle the words that have to do with the topic we are discussing. Say for example, we were discussing insects. I would have words associated with insects (such as antenna, legs, ant, etc) mixed in with words not associated with insects (such as lungs, bones, gills, etc.). At the end of the unit, students will take a posttest where they not only have to choose the correct words associated with insects from the list, but also have to categorize those words using a mind map like the one shown above.


No comments:

Post a Comment